Saturday, January 31, 2009

peanut cookies

tried out the peanut cookies recipes..finally. It may seem a little over to still bake cny goodies now but hey! there's 15 days for the chinese new year right? So i'm not too late yea?

I actually adapted the recipes from Elyn found here and here. Peanut cookies I (as I name it) follows the recipe that's closer to the almond cookies I did earlier. However, to my disappointment, they didn't taste as nice as the almond cookies. They were less crisp, more melt-in-the-mouth kind. It doesn't taste horrible or unpleasant, but i guess it just didn't really entice my taste buds as much as the almond cookies did.

From the same batch of cookie dough, I made some cut-out ones and some rolled up one (placed in paper cups) Same timing needed for both kinds. It's more of which kinda you prefer looking at/or eating/making.
Peanut cookies
Igredients:
170gm self-raising flour
80gm Icing Sugar
1/4 tsp Salt
110g Corn or Canola Oil
1/2 tsp Vanilla Essence
80gm Ground Peanut
40g Coarse Peanut
Egg Yolk + few drops of water for brushing (Optional)
Method :
1. Sift flour, salt and icing sugar together.
2. Add ground peanut and coarse peanut, mix well.
3. Mix vanilla essence into corn oil and stir well.
4. Mix both ingredients and form a dough.
5. Shape into small round ball and slightly press it. [I used a cookie cutter to cut out shapes; for the small balls, i used 1/2 leveled tablespoonfuls of dough for each cookie]
6. Brush with egg yolk and bake at 170 degrees for 15 mins or till lightly brown
adapted from Elyn
Some may prefer to glaze their cookies and some do not. I personally the glaze just makes it look prettier. I'm getting pretty lazy at glazing the cookies, but, upon comparision, I think i'll still glaze it in future. Just that I'd have extra whites again.
Here's the second peanut cookie recipe (peanut cookies II - i call it). This peanut cookie is a really really different texture from the previous one. It's even softer and more melt-in-the-mouth than peanut cookies I. Definitely not my kind. Still frgrant with the peanut-y feeling and smell but too soft for my liking.

Again, I did it in 2 different styles, using the same batch of dough. It's better and easier if it was done in round balls. This is as, I realised that the cut-out ones break off as i was keeping them in the containers as they were simply too soft!

I won't be posting the recipe for peanut cookies II. If you're really interested to try it out, you can get it here.
Related Posts with Thumbnails