Wednesday, January 28, 2009

honey cornflakes mini cup

Actually, I'm cheating on this post..My younger sister was the one who attempted this really really simple yet yummy cornflakes snack.

I came across the recipe for this snack on Elyn's blog and somehow remember that my younger sister asking me if i knew how to bake that and if i could make some for her. I immediately showed her the web page and asked if that was what she was referring to. and yes! i was right and she got all excited about it.

I scanned through the recipe and was amazed at how easy it is to put it together, so i told her, why not you try it yourself? since it's pretty fast, easy and hassle free. So finally, on Saturday, she made it on her own all by herself. She couldn't wait for me any longer as i was always busy with something else or finishing up my orders. That was the day i went on the probably longest baking hours so far, finished baking 120 open top pineapple tarts, 1 8" kueh lapis and 70 almond cookies. All in a day. ( a little slow i would say, taking my own sweet time) ha.

I think it's a really simple recipe and probably a Saturday afternoon activity to do with kids or something..

Honey Cornflakes mini Cup makes about 35 mini cups

Ingredients :
40g butter
1 tbsp sugar [omitted sugar and replaced with honey]
1 tbsp honey
2 cups corn flakes
1/2 cup nuts (optional)
Raisins (optional)


Method :
1. Melt butter over low heat. [I helped her melt it in the microwave, on high just for a few seconds will do. Do not let it bubble.]
2. Add in sugar and honey, stir till sugar is dissolved.
3. Add in corn flakes, nuts or raisins and mix well.
4. Spoon into small paper cups and bake at 180 degrees for 10 mins.


recipe notes:
I melted the butter in the microwave as I was too lazy to get the pot out and double boil it etc..I just stood outside the microwave observing the butter till it's melted and took it out. (Probably don't recommend this often for the fear of mutated DNA -microwaves mutate our DNA)
My sister measure wrong amount of sugar so i just told her to add more honey. I guess it's really up to your taste entirely and just adjust accordingly.
We didn't have nuts/raisins, so my sister replaced it with 1/2 cup of fruity pebbles (since she likes them alot). Works fine too, and she's proud of her "invention" zzz

I'm not sure if this is supposed to happen, but the cornflakes "shrink" after being baked. Not too sure if it's because the honey/butter melted and the clump became more compact. oh wells.

Verdict: simple yet delicious. Do give it a try!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I enjoy your blog very much! I read about your honey cornflakes, may I ask where do you buy the fruity pebbles from?

Thanks much!

youfei said...

Hi Anonymous,

Many thanks for your compliments! I hope you visit my blog more often =p

Are you from Singapore as well? I got the fruity pebbles from any supermarket. I believe any major supermarkets like NTUC, cold storage should carry it. =)

Hope that helps!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, yes I am from Singapore; I don't remember seeing fruity pebbles although I always notice fruit loops. Will keep my eyes big big during my visit to the supermarket ^__^

Good weekend ahead!

youfei said...

Hi!

Maybe you'd like to try those bigger supermarkets like fairprice xtra? yep yep do let me know if you manage to find it =D

By the way, if you're attempting these, you could also coat it with chocolate and that way, you wouldnt even need to bake it! =)

Have a great weekend too!

Little Corner of Mine said...

I omitted the honey, maybe that's why it won't stick.

Related Posts with Thumbnails