I had this amazing speculoos tart at a friend's son's first birthday party, I couldn't stop thinking about it.
I googled almost immediately for a recipe I could possibly replicate and of course, decided a tart would be too tedious. And so, I tried to search for a cupcake recipe instead. Much to my dismay, many recipes call for a vanilla cupcake, holed and filled with a dollop of cookie butter.
And so, I tried to crush a pack of lotus biscuits and add it into my cupcake batter, just like how you would with Oreo cookies. Genius ya? No.. The cupcakes smelled awesome while I made them but the taste was really lacklustre :(
And so, I decided a vanilla cupcake base with a dollop of cookie butter swirled in just like those nutella swirled cupcakes should do the trick :D
Top it off with a cookie butter Swiss meringue buttercream and some crushed speculoos. Yums!
Makes ~20 mini cupcakes
100g salted butter, softened
75g caster sugar
125g self-raising flour
1tsp vanilla extract
Spoonfuls of cookie butter
1. Cream softened butter and sugar till pale yellow.
2. Add in eggs, one by one till full incorporated.
3. Stir in flour and add in milk till well combined.
4. Fill cupcake liners with ~2/3 cupcake batter.
5. Spoon ~1 TSP cookie butter into each cupcake liner and swirl with a toothpick.
6. Bake at preheated oven of 165C for 12-15min. Cupcake is ready when toothpick inserted comes out clean.
38g egg white (~1 egg white)
20g brown sugar
66g salted butter
40g cookie butter
1. Whisk together egg whites and sugar over a pot of simmering water till sugar is dissolved and egg white mixture is hot to touch
2. Remove from heat and whisk till stiff peaks form
3. Add in cubed butter, a little at a time till it comes together.
4. Whisk in speculoos.
Pipe speculoos buttercream over cupcake and sprinkle some crushed lotus biscuits.