Monday, August 16, 2010

Surprise! ...not

 
I promised in my previous post that I'll be back soon and I'm trying hard at keeping my promise! 

I've been back blog hopping these days and I must say, as usual, as with almost all food bloggers, there's simple TOO many recipes to try out. 

It was not until I saw Happyhomebaking's post that compelled me to try it out almost immediately! It was really heart-warming to see how she grabs every opportunity available to show her love, care and concern for her dear husband whom is working hard for the family overseas. Yet, it also jolted that guilt in me and reminded me to shower a little care for my darling D. 

Part of my long absence from baking and blogging stemmed from me starting work coupled with my lousy stamina and well, some unhappiness having to do something which I didn't exactly enjoy. It was only then I realised how pampered I was, when D would take time out almost every evening to pay me a visit and slog through the night baking and washing up for me. 

Amongst the many other commitments he's got, every other spare time he had, he spent it with me. I not only not show my appreciation but still, I complained at times. 

HHB's gesture dug out that guilty conscience in me and I thought what better way to start with something, simple, easy and tasty. Another guilty chord struck when HHB's post was on Oatmeal Cookies. If there was any favorite cookies D loved, it's be Oatmeal Raisin cookies. It's a shame that after all these years baking and doing all that fancy stuff, I neglected the simplest of all. 

Wouldn't then it be perfect to give a shot at an Oatmeal cookie recipe and make that a simple surprise? No. D surprised me instead when he sneaked into the kitchen just when I was scooping the balls of dough. Nonethless, when D peered over to see what was I up to, he broke into a HUGE grin as he recognised the rough looking textured heaps of dough on the baking tray and said "Oatmeal raisin cookies! My FAVORITE!!

When the cookies cooled off, he popped one into his mouth. After 2 of them, he went "I think I can finish off the whole tray soon.

Now, do you consider that a successful surprise?

The cookie yielded quite a special texture. Not quite crispy, yet not quite chewy either. But it tasted great nonethless, with the fragrant buttery aroma, coupled with healthy rolled oats, some chocolate chip, raisin and walnuts, a great tea-time, any-time snack in fact!

Here you go!


Chocolate Chip Raisin Walnut Oatmeal Cookies

Ingredients:
(makes about 32 cookies)

90g butter, softened at room temperature
25g raw sugar
25g brown sugar
1 egg (weights about 60g with shell), lightly beaten
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
100g cake flour (or plain flour)
100g rolled oats
50g walnuts, coarsely chopped
35g raisins
75g chocolate chips


Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 190degC. Line baking trays with parchment paper.
  2. With manual whisk, cream butter and sugar in a mixing bowl until the mixture turns pale and fluffy (alternatively use an electric mixer if desired).
  3. Dribble in the egg gradually. Mix well after each addition. Add in salt and vanilla extract, mix to incorporate into the batter.
  4. Sift the flour over the batter, fold in with a spatula.
  5. Add rolled oats, walnuts and dried cranberries. Mix well with the spatula.
  6. Drop heaped teaspoonfuls of the cookie dough onto the prepared baking tray. Leave some space between the cookies to allow for spreading (actually, they don't spread too much). Flatten each cookie dough slightly with the back of a fork, keeping the shape as even as possible.
  7. Bake for 8~10 mins or until golden (my oven took 12~15mins). If necessary, rotate the baking tray halfway through the cooking time to ensure even browning. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in air-tight containers.

    Recipe source: adapted from 好想为你亲手做出美味的甜点! 检见崎聡美
adapted from HHB with modifications in italics.

Enjoy!

16 comments:

Passionate About Baking said...

That sounds good You Fei! It's always not too late to show appreciation to our loved ones. I'm sure D appreciated what you have done for him too! :)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Good to have you back and baking again. ;) Yeah! Tikal seems like a good "nickname" for this cookies, lol! Looks good, will try it out for myself too. Take care!

Anncoo said...

what a cute name ~ "Rojak" in it and the cookies look really crunchy and healthy.
Please visit my new site and join the little giveaway.

ian's mummy said...

Fantastic!!!!

faithy said...

Glad you started blogging after a long 'break'! ;D

Your cookies looks fab!

D said...

Awwww..

Almost brought tears to my eyes when i read it!

Thanks dear! Love you loads!!! =D

D said...

i think with a little cinnamon it might taste better!

=D

youfei said...

Hi all! thanks for all the lovely comments!

@Jane: Thanks for the encouragement! I certainly think he did! =D

@Bee Bee: Do try them out! They're quite unlike your usual oatmeal raisin cookies, but special in some ways.

@Anncoo: thanks for the invite! I've submitted my comment! =p Yep! they're on the crunchier side and yep! Healthy cos you're eating oats =p hehe!

@ian's mummy: Thanks!

@faithy: Yep! I hope I can persevere! Thanks! do try them out!

@D: I'm glad you liked it! That was the whole purpose wasn't it? =p So, adding cinammon would give me the perfect excuse to whip them up again yea? hehe!

Pei-Lin said...

Youfei, welcome back!!! So happy for you! You know you just made me log onto my a/c at work because I just feel so compelled to talk to you now? LOL!

I remember what you'd told me over the last few months. I can sorta empathize with you. No worries, I know you're working your way through in the meantime, trying to figure things out. I do feel life is filled with surprises and is so unpredictable. One can never where he/she will be the next moment. I have faith in you!

Yeap, simplicity is one of life's most beautiful side. Nowadays, due to my busy schedule (thanks to my full-time day job, well, I need the money anyway), I've been doing simple bakes and dishes. Still, I find life's purest happiness even though they may not strike one as impressive as other more complicated/challenging cooking/baking projects do. I'm a happy girl. I hope you're, too.

D is lucky to have you and so are you to have him. Cherish each other! You guys make really cute couple! I'm honored to be able to meet him in person, too.

Take care, buddy! Here's to hope I can see you and the rest again in the future.

Love from KL,
Pei-Lin

Bakericious said...

Hi You Fei, welcome back! The cookies look so delicious, I am sure D will be so touching and happy :)

Kitchen Corner said...

Nice to see you back to blog. The rojak cookies look good! I like the cookies with some walnuts that gives it a lot more of crunchiness.

Bakertan said...

Hey Youfei,

So glad to have you back blogging! Forget about the unhappiness, whatever it was and put it all behind you. Hope you are coping better with work these days.

These cookies look lovely and I am sure whoever takes a bit into them can feel the love and effort =]

Cheers and happy getting busy with baking!

youfei said...

@Pei-Lin: Thanks ALOT for your encouragement. I feel so honoured to have compelled you to log in during work to leave a comment yea? (just don't get caught haha!)

Well, I'm kinda working things around. But I feel like I'm lagging behind and honestly quite at a loss now. =X

But I guess what keeps me going are friends like you, people like my family who try to finish up what i bake and of course, for the pure reason of documenting my baking journey.

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping the christmas thing will come true!!

@Grace: Thanks for your compliments and dropping by! Do try out the recipe sometime! It's really simple =)

@Bakertan: Thanks so much for the encouragement to keep me going! I sure hope I'll be happy busy baking once again!

Anonymous said...

How sweet!

That looks scrumptious! I love to bake with oats : ) They look like the best homemade cookies made with tender loving care : D

Lovely pictures!

youfei said...

Hi Yan Ee,

Thanks! Oats are healthy aren't they? =ppp

Thanks for the compliments =)

Olivia said...

Hmmm yummy cookies. Tks for sharing the recipe.

Related Posts with Thumbnails