Tuesday, February 24, 2009

back log

made this banana chiffon some time ago, on valentine's day to be exact =p the bumch of over-riped banans were just beckoning me to make a banana chiffon. Was too tired/busy after baking it so didn't write a post on it.

I was really really pleased with how the cake turned out. probably one of my best chiffons ever. the cake rose high in the oven and well, still shrunk and i thought it could be taller. I'm satisfied for now as it shrank to just the height of the pan, which is by far, the highest i ever achieved. it always shrinks to below the height of the pan.
This time, Ive used a smaller chiffon tin (17cm one) and needless to say, the cake was really light and fluffy. =) My mum said the banana taste could be stronger though she really liked the texture. But i thought chiffons were supposed to be just lightly flavoured? no?

I got this recipe from happyhomebaking
Banana Chiffon
Ingredients(make one 16 ~ 18 cm cake)
3 egg yolks
25g caster sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
30ml cooking oil (I used olive oil) [i used corn oil]
85g banana puree (about 2 medium size bananas)
1/4 teaspoon banana essence (I used vanilla extract)
55g plain flour
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
3 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
50g caster sugar
Method:
1.Preheat oven to 170 degC. Sieve together flour and baking soda, set aside. Mash banana, set aside.
2.Separate egg yolks/whites and bring to room temperature.
3.Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a mixing bowl until sugar just dissolved. Add in salt, oil, essence and mashed banana. Whisk till combined. Sieve over the flour mixture and fold gently with a spatula until flour is fully incorporated into the batter.
4.In a clean, dry mixing bowl, whisk egg whites and cream of tartar with an electric mixer until mixture becomes frothy and foamy. Add in the sugar in 3 separate additions while beating at high speed till stiff peaks form.
5.Add the egg white foam into the egg yolk batter in 3 separate additions, each time folding gently with a spatula until just blended.
6.Pour batter into a 16cm or 18cm (6 inch or 7 inch) tube pan (do not grease the pan). Spread and smooth the batter evenly with a spatula. Bang the pan gently on a work surface several times to release the air bubbles trapped in the batter.
7.Bake for 25 ~ 30mins or until the cake surface turns golden brown, and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
8.Remove from the oven and invert the pan immediately. Let cool completely before unmould.
Recipe source: adapted from Chiffon Cake is Done by Kevin Chai

2 comments:

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Youfei, if you have tried store bought banana cakes, the banana taste is quite strong...I suspect is it due to the artificial banana essence that is being added in. Maybe that's why your mum is more familiar with that strong flavour. It happens to me whenever I give my cakes to my siblings to try. They will compare it with what they have tasted before (mainly store bought ones) and they usually would comment that my bakes are on the lighter side. I have tried homemade orange chiffon cake made by a distant relative...I found the orange taste so strong and fragrant...but I found out later that it was due to the essence which was added to the cake. I try not to use any essence (only exception is vanilla extract!) in my bakes, I rather taste the natural flavours from the ingredients. Sorry for being so long-winded!

youfei said...

Hi HHB,

that's exactly what i thought too! I once tried an orange chiffon and the taste was really subtle. My boyfried told me he very much prefers mine to store-bought ones as store-bought ones have this really really strong orange taste.

So i figured it could be the essence. Thanks for confirming! =D

Please don't be sorry! you're not long winded! I'm only too happy that someone's even reading my posts =p

regards,
youfei

Related Posts with Thumbnails